Thursday, February 8, 2007

Babies and Operations!

I spent my day in the DR (delivery room) and OR (operating room) at Fabella Hospital. I observed two Cesarean sections and two tubal legations along with 9 births. It was all an amazing learning opportunity. For all the operations we got to be in an upper room over looking the surgeries being preformed. It was incredible to be able to see inside the abdominal cavity and the uterus contract after the cesarean birth. I most enjoyed being up at the head of the bed with the mother holding her hand and supporting her head while she is pushing. The staff at Fabella takes a very medical approach to birth and a lot of times care for the mother is over looked. I would assist the mother when she had to move from one gurney to another in the middle of 2ND stage labor, support and encourage her during labor, try to keep her cool and comfortable and give her information on her baby once it had been take to the newborn care room. They also preform mandatory episiotomy on all P1 (first time mothers) so I would comfort the mother while the OB was suturing. There where even some cases where they did not give the women Lidocaine before suturing. As I stated in my previous blog the obstetric managed birth is much different from the midwifery model of care.

No comments: