Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Saying GoodBye

As many of you know I went to the Philippines with Mercy In Action but because their clinic was closed in 2006 I spent the majority of my time serving with Help International Ministries at their Birthing Home, Shiphrah. The fallowing is a letter of my appreciation of this ministry during my time in the Philippines.


The compassionate hearts and loving hands of Help International Ministries are intertwined and encompass both the Shiphrah Birth Center and The Little Children’s Home. Through more than twenty years of service in the Philippines their ministry reaches far beyond these two physical facilities. I have been blessed to spend eight months working and learning along side the women of Shiphrah, including Deborah Gustafson, Jeri Gunderson and five remarkable Filipina midwives. This experience, in so many ways unlike what I had expected, has had an amazing effect on the very foundation of my character and in my life. It will be forever close to my heart and will never be forgotten. As a young adult going into the mission field I could have easy lost my focus and concentrated solely on my academic requirements and fulfilling my expectations. Thankfully my priorities were kept inline by the sincere love, passion, and care that Shiphrah displays to everyone that comes into their arms. Shiphrah’s mission is to share the love and mercy of Christ with impoverished women and their children, both born and unborn, by celebrating the value of their lives and working together to create a healthier, caring community. I am privileged to stand witness to their accomplishments and so much more. Although their focus is on a specific group of women and children, they address their needs in such a sincere and wholehearted way; the results exceed their mission statement.

I came to the Philippines to gain the clinical experience necessary for my education, but am leaving with a heart and head full of life lessons. Life is about the experiences we go through or perhaps more about how we go through them. This is true learning. Watching the Gunderson’s faithful walk with the Lord, even with the passing of Dennis, has encouraged us all to be unwavering in our faith. I am so thankful that the women of Shiphrah taught me more than midwifery, they taught my hands how to serve and my heart how to love consistently and unconditionally. I am excited about the preparation for ministry and the friendships I have established, and know they will provide inspiration in the future. I have the greatest respect for the Gunderson family and the midwives, whom have opened doors for me and so many others. I have never seen a more genuine mission and thank them for furthering the love and kingdom of God.

No comments: