Tuesday, March 6, 2007

What Kayla Wakes Up At 4am

Yep it is true I am enjoying the early hours of dawn much like my grandfather has done for years and years. He sets a good example, but it is not purely by choice. I am working in a birth center called Shiprah in Antipolo city. To get there we walk from our house to the main road then take a one hour jeepney ride to Tickling Junction then walk another 10 minutes or so to the clinic. My shift starts at 6am so we have to leave the house before 5am so I have to get up at 4am! Shiphrah is a ministry ran by a couple who are also originally from Montana, but have been in the Philippines over 20 years. They also run a children's home for orphans waiting for adoption next door to the clinic. Shiphrah is the name of one of the two midwives who feared the Lord and did his will in Exodus 1:1-22.


Lindsey and I work on the same team and work 48 hour shifts from 6am Thursday to 6am Saturday and 24 hour shift from 6am Monday to 6am Tuesday and a 24hour shift every other Sunday. The clinic offers prenatal check ups every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and usually have over 100 woman under their care at a time.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ME READING A 422 PAGE BOOK ON BREASTFEEDING. I ACTUALLY FINISHED IT!

THE LIVING ROOM THAT CONVERTS INTO A BED ROOM WHEN THE LABOR BEDS ARE FULL AND WE ARE TIERED THE KITCHEN WHICH I TRY TO SPEND AS LITTLE TIME IS AS POSSIBLE. IT IS ANT INFESTED AND LAST TIME I OPENED A CUPBOARD AT 2AM A CAT JUMPED OUT AT ME. I ALMOST DIED.
ONE OF THE THEE BIRTH ROOMS. THEY EACH HAVE TWO BEDS IN THEM. THEY ARE SIMPLE BUT WORK PERFECT AND ARE MUCH NICER AND BIGGER THEN IF A WOMAN WHERE TO GIVE BIRTH AT HOME.

No comments: