Saturday, April 28, 2007

Spelling?


I have been meaning to write for quite sometime and apologize for my poor spelling. After seeing this stand at a mall here and Manila and realizing I am not the only one who suffers I sat down to write this blog. If you have been semi consistent in reading my blog, I am sure you have notice by now it is one of my weaknesses. Or even if you have read only one post I apologize for the effort it may have taken to fumble though it. There is the problem of the random words I try to make work when I can not figure out how to spell the word I want to use and I always have to change the way I say things so I can spell each word right. With that said I also want to mention that it is not easy being such a poor speller and maybe some of you can relate. Growing up as a bad speller sure makes you resourceful because it affects your daily life. Writing checks can lead to cardiac arrest as you search your surroundings to find the spelling of the company's name. Or that one little line I dread where the make you spell out exactly how much you spent. Heaven forbid someone with a puzzling last name or confusing information call and ask to leave a message. That is when I pull out the art form of making the letters hard to distinguish. Making my "e" look like it could be an "a" or an "i" and I write really close together. Thinking it better if someone can kind of make it out thinking I have bad hand writing then realize it is spelled complete wrong. So I confess I do make an effort to hide all my spelling errors. I use spell check often. At twenty one I am still very dependent on my mom or sister to edit all my work, thankfully they are much better spellers then I and helped me get though high school without out looking totally stone age. I also have an automatic reflex of copying my emails, blogs and myspace messages into a Word document and waiting for the page to be covered with red lines so I can fix my mistakes and hide my weakness! I spell the word I know then use Word’s thesaurus to find the word I want. I am thankful for Word and would be embarrassed to show you how many of those red lines are on my page as I type this out. So, I am in the bad speller camp with so many others, separated from those who can spell crazy words in their heads, compete in spelling bees and then make movies about people competing in spelling bees.

But I can read and I have never been as thankful for that as I was the other day. Lindsay and I went into a bookstore, which is one of my favorite places to be. It had been months since I had been in a book store and I was amazed as I realized I could read and what that really meant. Not only that, I can read in English meaning I could pick up any book from the self and have a go at it. Anything I wanted to learn is at my finger tips. Reading is something I never thought twice about until the reality that not everyone can hit me in the Philippines.